Thursday, February 12, 2009

Impressive Virus?

Posted by: William W. (Woody) Williams



I was recently in the vicinity of Llano, TX -- a beautiful spot in the Central Texas Highlands known as "The Hill Country" -- around lunch time. This usually means my meatatarian side kicks in and, sure enough, that's what happened. I stopped in at Cooper's Barbeque -- a good, honest Central Texas answer to a meat craving.

I picked out a couple of things at "the pit" and proceeded through the line and out into the dining area. Seating at Cooper's is family style -- pretty popular in these places -- and I found a spot on one of the benches. It's rows of picnic tables and you just sit where you can find a spot... elbow your way in if you have to and talk with your neighbors if they're talkative.

The television was tuned to CNN and a couple of working guys at the same table were discussing the latest news. Stimulus package talk mostly and their most common comment was, "It'll never work." However, it was a conversation at the table behind me that riveted my attention.

Three guys gathered at one end of the table behind and to the left of me. I could see them out of the corner of my eye and managed to make out most of their conversation with a little effort.

These guys are solid working folks in blue jeans, overalls, and shirts faded from many washings. They are the ones lining up when a "shovel ready" project kicks off.

One of the guys -- his back toward me -- settles in with his tray and, as a conversational opening says, "Boy, that virus on Bill's computer sure impressed the heck out of me."

Actually he didn't say "heck," it was something a bit coarser but I've edited the conversation for family consumption.

The conversation continued about Bill's computer and I finally got the gist of it and understood why the virus was impressive. Apparently the program was malware and used Bill's computer and internet connection to pass itself along... along with some very personal information. You know the type of thing.

No one at the table was sure how Bill came up with the thing or how he was going to get rid of it but "the stuff that thing can do is just amazing."

Yes, they were all impressed and that's the scary part to me. I guess, in a way, they impressed the heck out me, too.

I'm wondering how common this attitude is. Are hackers and creators of malware the new Bonny and Clyde? John Dillinger? Hole in the Wall Gang? Is taking down Bill's computer now viewed the same as Pretty Boy Floyd taking down a bank?

If so, where's the "Robin Hood" in the deal? There’s no payback for anyone except the hacker and Bill is getting the raw end of the deal. This isn’t “getting back at the man,” it’s causing grief, frustration, and a lot of expense to the common man.

Add to Technorati Favorites Subscribe

No comments: