Monday, February 2, 2009

Drug Screens for the Boss

Posted by: William W. (Woody) Williams

My friend D. experienced a certain amount of turmoil in employment over the past year -- I'm sure most of us can relate, if not personally, at least by association. Suffice to say that D. was involved in some bizarre situations and witnessed some rather extreme behavior on the part of management recently.

D. stopped me on the way to lunch the other day, looked around to see who was watching, and whispered in a conspiratorial manner, "Next job offer I get, I'm going to ask the management team to take a drug screen before I accept." Whispered quickly and then, after cautious -- not to say paranoid -- glances at passers-by, D. continued walking without a backward look.

It left me wondering what kind of interview or piece of workplace insanity D had just experienced. I found out later but... that's a different post.

What about drug testing the management team? Does this idea have any traction?

What if, at the end of an interview where the interview was successful and the offer made, we could say, "OK, I'm on board but only if you and the senior managers pass a drug screen."

Friends and acquaintances say, "No way" pretty much unanimously and, I suppose, I have to agree. Still... it's an interesting fantasy... only in dreams.

Add to Technorati Favorites Subscribe

No comments: